About the Department
The Department of Medical Oncology at Fortis Hospitals, Bannerghatta Road, is a specialist team that works with the goal of preventing, diagnosing and treating cancer in an effective manner by presenting world-class standards of therapeutic protocols and personalised multi-modality treatments. Treating cancer by using methodologies like chemotherapy, immunotherapy, hormonal therapy and targeted therapy is known as Medical Oncology.
Your care team at Fortis will start the process by discussing available options of treatment for your type of cancer with you and also your family. Our team of specialist medical oncologists are leaders in their respective disciplines and have the expertise to deal with multiple types of complex cancer cases. Through several rounds of discussion, diagnostic screenings and tests, the specialist team will arrive at a diagnosis of your condition. Basis that, along with taking in to consideration your current health condition and your individual preferences, a treatment plan will be presented to you.
Medical oncologists at Fortis treat hundreds of patients year on year. With their levels of expertise and knowledge, they are able to minimise the risk of additional complications and side effects during your cancer treatment.
Being diagnosed with cancer is heart-breaking and life altering. It not only affects you, but also your loved ones too. At Fortis, we have dedicated support services available who will be able to counsel you and your family members so that the journey to recovery is what you should be able to concentrate on.
Areas of Care
A diagnosis of cancer changes every aspect of your life. At Fortis Hospitals, Bannerghatta, we offer you expert services in medical oncology in an environment that is designed to cater to your needs. Our team of medical oncologists are focussed on treating all types of cancers by comprehending the nuances of personalised treatment.
Our areas of care include:
- Gynaecological Oncology
- Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Skin Cancer
- Bone Cancer
- Eye Cancer
- Mouth Cancer
- Brain Cancer
At Fortis, we use several progressive methodologies of treating cancer effectively in a safe environment. With modern medical technology at our disposal, we can accurately detect the specific type and stage of the cancer and develop a customised approach of therapeutic action to beat it.
Symptoms of Cancer
For most people, cancer gives little or no symptoms in its early stages that can exclusively pinpoint to the disease. Every cancer symptom can be easily explained by a totally harmless disorder as well. However, if you see some of these symptoms persisting over a significant period of time, then it’s best get an evaluation done by a doctor.
Here are the common symptoms of cancer:
- If you experience cough or blood tinged saliva persistently. This could indicate towards cancer of the lung, head or the neck
- If you observe a change in your bowel habits, for example, pencil thin stools may be an indicator for colon cancer
- If you notice blood in your stool which could be indicator for haemorrhoids coexisting with cancer
- If you suddenly feel anaemic that could point towards bowel cancer
- If you notice a breast lump or breast discharge
- If you observe lumps in your testicles which could be indicative of testicle cancer
- If you feel that your urination pattern has undergone a change including keeping a lookout for frequent urination, decrease in the amount of urination, change in the flow of urine or bladder functionality. All of these signs can point towards prostate cancer
- If you observe a loss in weight in a short span of time
- If you see that the colour of your skin is changing
In order to give cancer a good fight, it best to follow preventive measures and knowing when to understand those signals that can lead to an early detection. If you feel that there are multiple warning signals, it’s best not to ignore them, but seek medical help at the earliest.
Our Diagnostic Services
If your doctor feels that your prolonged symptoms require further verification, then he will recommend a host of diagnostic screenings. However, do keep in mind that just because your doctor has prescribed these tests, means that you have cancer. Wait for the results and then take the next step.
Here are some of the common tests that can detect cancer:
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Blood protein testing
- Tumour marker tests
- prostate-specific antigen (PSA) for prostate cancer.
- cancer antigen 125 (CA 125) for ovarian cancer, calcitonin for medullary thyroid cancer.
- alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) for liver cancer.
- human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) for germ cell tumours, such as testicular cancer and ovarian cancer.
- Circulating tumour cell tests
Other tests include:
- Computed Tomography
- Positron Emission Tomography
- Bone Scintigraphy
- Pap Smear Test
- Bone Marrow Examination
- Genetic Testing
- Endoscopic ultrasound
- Breast cancer screening
- Upper gastrointestinal series
- Virtual Colposcopy
- Mamma Print
- Urine Cytology
It can be very stressful to wait to hear the outcome of any of these diagnostic screenings. Going to your specialist with the results, having an understanding of the situation, getting a diagnosis and classifying the type of cancer can certainly relieve some of that stress and anxiety.
Treating cancer can be challenging both for the patient as well as the specialist team at Fortis. However, most cancer treatments will include the following therapies singularly or in combination.
With chemotherapy treatment, cancer cells can be destroyed by using drugs. It also works in a pattern formation that stops or slows down the expansion of the cancerous cells, which are in the habit of exponentially dividing and regenerating. There are two types of chemotherapy treatments available:
- Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy
- Adjuvant Chemotherapy
A breakthrough in cancer care, immunotherapy is the procedure through which the body’s immune cells are activated to fight against the cancer cell. This therapy works towards improving the body’s own defence mechanism in order to destroy the cancerous cells. Immunotherapy can be performed in three ways:
- Drug Therapy
- Dendritic Cell Therapy
- Cancer Vaccines
- Targeted Therapy:
Targeted therapy also uses drugs in treating cancer but is totally different from conventional chemotherapy. The therapy works by stopping expansion and the penetration of cancer cells to other body organs.
- Hormone Therapy:
Specific types of cancer grow and develop with the help of hormones. That basically means these particular types of cancers are hormone sensitive or hormone dependent. By using medicines, hormone therapy can act as blockage or preventive mechanism by which the hormones are restricted from developing or producing new cancer cells.
- Radiation Therapy:
Radiation therapy uses high powered radiation beams directed at the tumour in the body. There are three types of radiation therapy available to cancer patients:
- External Beam Radiation Therapy
- Internal Radiation Therapy
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery and Ablative Radiotherapy
Other treatment avenues that are also open to cancer patients are:
- Surgical Oncology
- da Vinci - Robotic Surgery
- 3D Prints
- Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Autologous bone marrow transplant
- Allogeneic bone marrow transplant
- Siblings (Matched related donor/ MRD)
- Parent/Children (Haploidentical stem cell transplant)
- Unrelated bone marrow transplants (UBMT) or matched unrelated donor (MUD)
- Umbilical cord blood transplant
As you progress with your treatment, your specialist and support staff at Fortis Hospitals will be by your side, every step of the way.
Our Team that cares
Deciding on your healthcare partner in your cancer care journey is one of the most critical decisions that you will ever make in your life. You want a partner who has the experience, access to latest technological advancements in treatments along with the resources to provide you with the best cancer care that is possible.
The Department of Medical Oncology at the Fortis Hospitals, Bannerghatta Road is one of the largest sub specialty division in the hospital. As a leading cancer hospital in bangalore, Fortis offers advanced cancer treatment through its team of specialist medical oncologists. Aiming to provide the best possible results for our cancer patients in the form of a cure or through prolonging their life span, experts are constantly researching newer clinical care methods for cancer.